Billing and Cashier Supervisor (7204U) #12491
Company: University of California-Berkeley
Posted on: November 16, 2020
Billing and Cashier Supervisor (7204U) #12491
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to
creating a community that fosters equity of experience and
opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all
backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of
openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for
students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world s
leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its
combination of internationally recognized academic and research
excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large
and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to
equity and social justice; and its roots in the California
experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the
status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its
founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance,
generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in
California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full
diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and
understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural,
disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic
backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at
Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and
equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a
matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among
faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding
whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly
encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding
Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 11/25/2020
Berkeley Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is a comprehensive
major medical insurance plan, providing medical, counseling,
prescription, vision, and dental service. The mission of the
Student Health Insurance Office is to provide service to students
as it pertains to their health insurance or utilization of
University Health Services Center. This includes access to benefit
representative to answer any Berkeley SHIP or insurance questions
or concerns, cashiering for students to make payments for services
render, a Patient Navigator to assist students with more complexed
health related issue with authorizations for service and next steps
in care, and a waiver department to help with insurance waiver
questions and appeals.
40% Supervisor Billing and Cashiering
* Oversees the revenue cycle workflow associated with Medical and
Behavioral Health claims for the University Health Service Center.
Responsible for the correct billing and collecting revenue on
behalf of UHS.
* Oversees the daily billing of claims from the current EMR system
to our Insurance Payer.
* Billing to all Student Health Insurance claims
* Billing all 3rd Party Payers for our Non-SHIP students
* Responsible for timely revenue capture and correct coding of
* Responsible for the daily processing of claims.
* Aged accounts managed with a goal of no claims over 90 days
* Leads, directs and evaluates up to 3 staff members at the
professional and represented level who supports billing, claims and
* Oversees multiple cashiering functions including deposits, Campus
Account Billing, patient payments, claims coding error
* Responsible conducting regular cash audits
* Responsible for regular checking of all credit card machines
throughout University Health Service Center for tampering and
reporting all findings.
* Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all credit card
machines at UHS.
* Responsible for the training and cross training of the Billing
and Cashiering staff
* Develops, implements, and administers risk management insured and
self-insured programs and operations with respect to insurance
claims administration, contracts, and loss prevention.
25% EMR claims processing and ERA retrieval
* Oversees the daily billing of claims to the current Insurance
* Oversees the daily retrieval of the ERA from the provider to the
current EMR system.
* Responsible for claim issues resolutions including but not
* Rejections, Denials and Over and Under payments
* Reports and resolves any claims billing issues that may
negatively impact the revenue stream at UHS.
* Acting as the liaison between the IT department and Student
Health Insurance for all billing and cashiering related items
15% Responsible for reporting and resolving all claims billing
issues that may negatively impact the revenue stream at UHS.
* Maintains timely billing windows and practice to ensure positive
revenue flow from the insurance carrier.
10% Acts as the claims billing and revenue cycle matter expert for
the Student Health Insurance Office and UHS.
* Fielding processing questions and responding to escalated claims
and EMR issues
* Responding to complex claims issue by working with students,
parents, providers and the insurance carrier to resolve.
* Identify complexed cases that require tasking to the Patient
5% Serves as subject matter expert to the Student Health Insurance
Office and UHS staff on the interpretation of the current insurance
plan, enrollment eligibility, benefit utilization, and claims
billing and reimbursement processes.
5% Oversees the preparation and the distribution of
weekly/monthly/annual claims billing reports.
* 3-5 years of health plan and some supervisory experience.
* Knowledge of health insurance industry experience (customer
service, benefits counseling, claims processing
* or brokerage services)
* Knowledge of medical causation and relatedness, as well as
coordination of medical treatment protocols.
* Demonstrated strong interpersonal relationship management and
customer service skills to build effective relationships with a
diverse staff in a complex organizational structure.
* Demonstrate a strong understanding of medical coding (ICD-10CM,
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to organize, coordinate and completed work
and projects effectively and within deadlines.
* Knowledge of the principles and practice of management
* Ability to function under fluctuating workloads, with frequent
distractions and interruptions.
* Demonstrated initiative, resourcefulness and ability to see
* Critical thinking and creativity in problem-solving with a
penchant for detail and commitment to accuracy.
* Expert user of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel) and
Electronic Medical Records (EMR) systems
* Must have some knowledge of finance policies, practices and
* Has ability to gather, organize, and perform basic financial
* Proven interpersonal skills, customer service orientation, active
listening skills, and organizational skills.
* Proven ability to concisely present complex risk findings and
make recommendations verbally and in writing
* Proven ability to use critical thinking and analytical skills to
* Strong skills required to develop course materials and deliver
content effectively to diverse populations.
* Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent
experience/training combination of education and
experience in health care.
Salary & Benefits
Hiring Range: $60,800 - $88,500 annually.
Keywords: University of California-Berkeley, Berkeley , Billing and Cashier Supervisor (7204U) #12491, Accounting, Auditing , Berkeley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!