Senior Data Engineer
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Kettle's mission is to balance risk in a changing climate.
Kettle uses deep learning and proprietary algorithms to reshape the
reinsurance industry and better protect people from the growing
risks associated with climate change. Kettle's first product
protects Californians' businesses, homes, and livelihoods with
wildfire reinsurance. To learn more, visit ourkettle.com
You probably have never heard of the $300bn reinsurance industry,
but it is the single most important industry in the world to
protect ourselves and help society recover from the effects of
climate change disasters. This industry is failing due to a 3x
increase in $1B+ crises caused by climate change. Kettle's aim is
to use deep learning to ensure that people's lives are not
destroyed when these events happen. By building the most
sophisticated machine learning models to predict when and where
wildfires happen, Kettle accurately prices the cost of covering
wildfire prone areas in California. We are a
machine-learning-powered reinsurer, in that we sell reinsurance to
insurers, we don't sell software to reinsurers.
Who We Are/what We Value
- Obsessive Fanatics - We obsess over big problems. We are
fanatical about our business/mission. We drive the company towards
the areas people describe as 'impossible to understand or
- Initiative - Obsessive people don't need micromanagement.
- Data Focused - With the world burning worse every year, we
can't afford opinions and bias to derail data driven
- Questioning Renegades - We work in a 600 year old industry. If
everyone is running one direction, we generally sprint in the
- Impact Driven - We are a mission driven business
We are looking for a passionate Senior Data Engineer to join our
team and work with a growing team of engineers, deep learning
experts, and other data scientists to model risk using the most
advanced tools available,
We strongly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented
populations in tech - such as women, People of Color, People with
Disabilities, and LGBTQ+ people, etc - to apply!
As a member of Kettle, you
- Design and develop a cloud-based data architecture that is is
optimal for data science
- Design and develop a research pipeline and support data
- Work with diverse data formats with varying data quality
- Create data science pipeline, which includes ETL, model run,
and metrics tracking, from start to finish
- Explore the data space to constantly improve the quality of
- Advise data scientists on the optimal data engineering
We are looking for a highly motivated, successful data engineer to
lead a growing data engineering team. They should be a demonstrated
self-starter with at least five years experience in some sort of
data analysis or engineering profession. This person needs to have
the drive to make sure our technology and models are efficient,
well-run systems to make the most accurate predictors of risk in
the world. Below we have listed out some things we are looking for;
you do not necessarily need to check all these boxes to be eligible
for this position.
Essential Experience Of a Successful Candidate
- Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD in computer science or related
- In-depth experience with designing and developing data
- In-depth experience with satellite image data
- In-depth knowledge of Amazon Web Services
- Experience with building data science research pipeline
- Some knowledge of Google Earth Engine data
- Familiarity with machine learning
- Self-starter with ability to work within a fast-paced and
- Eagerness to learn new skills and help with the task at
- Coding proficiency in building serverless APIs
- Familiarity with database design and architecture
- Experience using SageMaker, TensorFlow, and other machine
- Developing simulation pipeline
- Code proficiency in golang and C++
We offer a competitive package that is based on location and
experience. We also offer the following benefits
- Stock Ownership in a fast-growing venture-backed company.
- 401k matching We care about your ability to save for your
- Family Focus Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get
out and see the world.
- Healthcare Platinum level Medical, dental, and vision
- Goodies Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job
- Team Fun Regularly scheduled events, annual retreat, and
- Learning Learning & Development Opportunities to grow your
skills and career.
- Great team Working with fun, hard-working, kind people
committed to making a difference!
- Flexible culture We are results-focused. We don't work at the
office every day.
- ...And much more! Lots of other perks make this company an
incredible place to work.
Keywords: Kettle, Berkeley , Senior Data Engineer, Engineering , Berkeley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!