Sr. Scientist, Strain Engineering (Lead)
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Sr. Scientist, Strain Engineering (Lead) It's a Perfect Day to
change the world! At Perfect Day, we're doing just that. Perfect
Day was founded in 2014 to create delicious, nutritious dairy
products that everyone can love. We're using fermentation (not
animals) to make dairy proteins that are the foundation for foods
like ice cream, cheese and yogurt - all with the distinctive taste
and textures that consumers demand, but without lactose or
environmental downsides.--Through partnerships with respected
brands, we're working to launch a whole range of dairy products
that will help shape a humane, sustainable food system for future
generations.-- Perfect Day is working to commercialize animal-free
dairy protein products manufactured via fungal fermentation. We are
seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Senior Scientist to Lead our
Strain Engineering team. The ideal candidate will be smart,
curious, open-minded, motivated, detail-oriented, organized & a
team player with a proactive approach to research & development.
They will lead the Strain Engineering group, at the heart of our
interdisciplinary team, which is working to bring Perfect Day
products to market. YOU WILL:
- Be a self-starter with excellent organizational & communication
- Be highly effective at planning and problem-solving.
- Have excellent interpersonal and management skills, including
mentorship of early career scientists
- Be a positive and enthusiastic team member
- Promote a positive and inclusive workplace culture
- Be passionate about changing the food space. YOUR ROLE WILL BE
- Employ your expertise in classical & advanced techniques
relevant for strain engineering (e.g. genetics, molecular biology,
genomics) & successful novel gene editing strategies to generate
consistently improved production strains.
- In conjunction with HTS, select winning strains for further
improvement and promotion to fermentation.
- Help develop and implement potentially novel techniques &
automated workflows to improve & expand the team's capabilities &
efficiency, leading to enhanced protein production & screening
- Employ a variety of techniques for understanding,
troubleshooting, and debottlenecking our systems.
- Be productive in the lab when required (up to 40% time).
- Utilize your experience of DoE & statistics to enable
appropriate data generation & robust data analysis.
- Maintain the highest standards for our strains' quality &
integrity, ensuring the timely production & delivery of QC'd vial
batches for fermentation & tech transfer.
- As a potential Project Leader develop goals & timelines and
adapt (communicating changes to project members & upper management)
in our fast-paced environment.
- Support resource management and project planning across the
Strain Engineering team.
- Meet deadlines, be focused on detail & have an emphasis on
- Travel as necessary, domestically & internationally, to support
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with internal and
international cross functional teams.
- Communicate team performance to executive leadership.
- Track relevant IP & technological developments in the
- Provide training and mentorship to junior staff to develop
competency in strain engineering strategies & recombinant protein
- Conduct performance evaluations, review career development
plans & manage the Strain Engineering department budget.
- Operate according to the company's Mission, Vision &
- Be an advocate for and adhere to all laboratory safety
(including COVID-19) protocols. ADDITIONAL DESIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Library design, construction & screening
- Detailed knowledge of fungal physiology/biochemistry
- Metabolomics KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- PhD in Fungal Molecular Genetics, Biotechnology, Molecular
Biology, Microbial Genetics, Biochemical Engineering, or a related
discipline, plus 5+ years of relevant (ideally industrial)
experience, with 2-3 years of experience supervising direct reports
successfully, and a proven record of publications &/or patent
applications (depending on experience). It's a Perfect Day to
change the world. The day when delicious dairy goodness is
something everyone can love. The day we say goodbye to the
downsides of factory farming. The day we throw a big party with
luscious, animal-free milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, all made
with Perfect Day! We hope you join us!--
Keywords: Lever, Berkeley , Sr. Scientist, Strain Engineering (Lead), Engineering , Berkeley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!