Manager of the LBL Catalysis Facility
Company: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab's (LBNL) Chemical Sciences Division
has an opening for a Manager of the LBNL Catalysis Facility as a
member of the LBNL catalysis program.
The primary purpose of this position is to manage the LBNL
Catalysis Facility and support users of this facility. This
position facilitates research in the LBNL Catalysis Program of the
Division of Chemical Science through the Catalysis Facility by
training of new users, ensuring proper functioning of the
instrumentation (including preventive maintenance and repairs),
assisting researchers to run non-standard experiments, and
installation and creation of capabilities of new instruments. In
addition, the position facilitates communication of the researchers
in the program by organizing monthly meetings of research
presentations within the program topics, leading the organization
of annual retreat, assisting preparation of components of proposals
pertaining to the facility, and providing information on use of the
facility for reporting purposes.
What You Will Do:
- Apply expertise in analytical and preparative chemistry or
chemical engineering to maintain a suite of instruments for
catalysis research including setup, repairs, troubleshooting,
ensuring proper resolution, signal to noise, etc.
- Train new users, who are graduate students, postdoctoral
scholars, technical staff and other group members, to use the
- Assist chemists and chemical engineers of the catalysis program
to perform non-standard experiments with the purpose of
investigating properties of catalysts, obtaining insight into
reaction mechanisms, understanding catalytic reactions, and
achieving data in a high-throughput fashion.
- Interact primarily with the program lead about the working of
the center, but interact with members of the catalysis program on
- Facilitate discussions among researchers in the three major
subtasks of the catalysis program to coordinate meetings, such as
an annual retreat and monthly program meetings.
- Present updates on the catalysis facility and summarize
facility use for contributions to scientific research papers and
- Maintain a knowledge of the research projects in the program
that could benefit from the facility and propose ways that the
facility instrumentation could be used in new ways for these
- In collaboration with the PI of the catalysis program and
potential major users, gain information on future instrumentation
to be purchased and upgrade capabilities of the current
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
- Periodically perform semi-routine collection and processing of
- Keep an accurate and detailed record of laboratory and
- Establish, maintain, and enforce policies on schedules for use
of the instrumentation.
- Report expenditures by the center to the Program Lead and
What is Required:
- BS degree or equivalent work experience with an additional 2-5
years of experience.
- Demonstrated experience with analytical methods useful for
assaying catalytic reactions.
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills with the
ability to troubleshoot complex experimental processes and provide
- Ability to learn to use instrumentation that is new or
unfamiliar to the employee.
- Excellent communication skills for interacting with researchers
in the program.
- Excellent academic record and evaluations with a proven record
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and record-keeping skills
with the ability to organize and present technical reports to
collaborators, staff, management, and sponsors.
- Experience with the separations of products of catalytic
reactions, and experience with conducting high-throughput
- MS degree preferred in chemistry, chemical engineering, or
related field, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with catalytic chemistry and the properties of
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and
answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
For full consideration please apply by August 8th, 2022. This
position will remain open until filled.
- This is a full-time, career appointment, exempt (monthly paid)
from overtime pay.
- This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the
business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the
- This position is represented by a union for collective
- Salary will be determined based on range by collective
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any
convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate
to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a
conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant
from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at McCone Hall at University
of California, Berkeley - 307 McCone Hall, Berkeley 94720-4767
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)
Vaccination Program, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our
community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible.
As a condition of Physical Presence at a Berkeley Lab Location, all
Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination
Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been
met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and
Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community
with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal
Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome
applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would
contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery,
inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global
community, all qualified applicants will be considered for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or
protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links: Know your rights,
click here for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the
Law." and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41
Keywords: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley , Manager of the LBL Catalysis Facility, Executive , Berkeley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!