Groundskeeper, Facilities Services
Company: University of California
Posted on: August 7, 2022
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to
creating a community that fosters equity of experience and
opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all
backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of
openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for
students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's
leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its
combination of internationally recognized academic and research
excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large
and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to
equity and social justice; and its roots in the California
experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the
status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its
founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance,
generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in
California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full
diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and
understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural,
disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic
backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at
Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and
equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a
matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among
faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding
whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly
encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding
Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment
that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to
continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of
the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the
following units: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial
Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops,
Quality Assurance & Customer Service, Sustainability and
Engineering Services and People's Park.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 25, 2022
* Empty waste bins following assigned routes.
* Remove litter/trash from surrounding areas and buildings.
* Deliver dumpsters, wheeled carts, event cans and various
equipment and containers using vehicles.
* Blow hardscapes (plazas, pathways, parking lots etc.) and
dumpster enclosures to remove ground litter from areas.
* Loading and unloading of waste materials into packer trucks,
flatbed trucks, vehicles, compactors, and balers.
* Push and move dumpsters, wheeled carts, and various containers
into position to be loaded by packer truck, flatbed, or other
* Use of hand trucks and pallet jacks as required.
* Operate compacting, baling, dumping, and various controls on
compactors, balers, packer trucks, flatbed trucks, and
* Clean and wash outdoor trash, recycling bins, and loading
* Wash and clean dumpsters, wheeled carts, and various types of
* Remove stickers, flyers, posters, decals, and graffiti from bins,
sight furnishings, exterior of buildings,trees, hardscapes, and
* Removal of chalk graffiti from hardscapes and buildings.
* Assure all dumpsters, carts, bins, equipment, and enclosures have
proper signage and labels, decals, and stickers.
* Assembly, maintenance, and repairs of dumpsters, wheeled carts,
bins, and equipment.
* Inspect, observe, and report problems to Supervisor regarding any
safety hazards bins, dumpsters, carts, equipment, and vehicles.
* Report all vehicle accidents and/or vehicle failures to
* Inspect assigned vehicle(s) for safety and equipment functions
* Advise Supervisor of equipment repairs needed or of faulty
* Keep vehicles clean and in good working order.
* Complete vehicle log inspection and mileage log daily.
* Maintain a safe driving record and follow all state, city,
federal motor carrier regulations and campus driving and parking
* Complete and report daily collection route and work order
* Adhere to all university and departmental safety guidelines.
* Attend job related and safety training as required.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Ability to properly operate and provide daily/weekly basic
maintenance of dumpsters, bins, equipment, compactors, balers, and
* Demonstrated ability to read, write and follow oral/written
instructions provided in English.
* Ability to interact in a positive manner with campus community,
including students, building managers, asset managers, academic
personnel, and craft personnel.
* Ability to work within a multicultural environment.
* Working knowledge of or ability to learn management of
recyclables and compostable materials accepted on campus and items
that are considered contamination.
* Demonstrated working knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and
equipment used in grounds, recycling, and composting work and
related safe work practices.
* On a regular basis, ability to lift up to 75 pounds; walk
distances of up to mile; bend and stoop to remove trash; lift
materials overhead; and to work outdoors in fluctuating and/or
extreme weather conditions.
* Ability to work different shifts beginning as early as 4:00 a.m.
and ending as late as 5:00 p.m.
* Ability to work weekdays, weekends, some holidays, and some
* A minimum of 12 months of working experience in grounds,
recycling, and compost bin route collection operations; or an
equivalent combination of training and experience.
Salary & Benefits
* This is a career, 100% full-time, 40-hours per week appointment,
eligible for full UC benefits.
* This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly
pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range
of $19.23 - $25.37 (Step 1.0 to Step 15.0).
* For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by
the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment
when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section,
then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
* A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is
* Ability to drive carts, vehicles with trailers, and trucks
* Facilities Services is hiring for two career appointments.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the
agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of
California and the American Federation of State, County and
Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement
manual can be found at:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a
background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities.
Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews
information received in the context of the job responsibilities.
The University reserves the right to make employment contingent
upon successful completion of the background check.
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more
information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and
affirmative action policy see:
Keywords: University of California, Berkeley , Groundskeeper, Facilities Services, Other , Berkeley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!