Scientist II, Stem Cell Biology
Company: Upside Foods
Posted on: January 20, 2023
At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating
new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and
slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is
cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the
industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on
bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane,
sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now
expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to
make better meat for a better world.
About this job
We are seeking an innovative, productive, and highly independent
Stem Cell Biologist to join our Cell Line Development (CLD) group
within Upstream Development at the Scientist II level. This is a
unique opportunity to build a novel stem cell application that
meets the requirements of our cultured meat process. This is a
laboratory-based position with opportunities for collaboration
across various R&D groups. Due to our organization's dynamic
and collaborative environment, this role will require someone who
can work individually and as part of a team. Lastly, and most
importantly, our ideal teammate will bring a sense of creativity,
enthusiasm, and integrity to this position and our
* Derive ESC/iPSC lines from novel species, and optimize culture
conditions to maintain pluripotency.
* Develop robust, scalable, directed-differentiation processes.
* Generate stable cell lines and characterize their cell
* Contribute creatively and strategically to scientific
* Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of
conveying technical information clearly and thoroughly to
cross-functional teammates and the senior leadership team.
* Managing timelines and expectations and supporting team growth
* Ph.D. in developmental/stem cell biology, biomedical sciences,
biological sciences, or related fields with 5+ years of
professional research and development experience (including
post-doctoral) with at least 2 years experience in the
biopharmaceutical, cell therapy or similar industry.
* Expert in ESC derivation and iPSC generation and maintaining
these cell lines.
* Well-versed in signaling pathway modulation for fate decisions as
well as differentiation techniques.
* Thoughtful and effective experimentalist, driven by the accuracy
* Willingness to actively engage external scientists and internal
customers in research collaborations where appropriate and to
maintain scientific scholarship through internal and external
networking and frequent literature reviews.
* Proactive mindset who is excited about challenges and finds
creative solutions or clear answers to those challenges.
Who you'll work with
* While we expect growth in the Stem Cell Biology team in the next
1-2 years, this role will start as an individual contributor with
minimal management responsibilities.
* This role will partner with multiple functions within our Cell
Line Development team and downstream teams within the Upstream
* This role will partner with multiple functions in R&D,
including Cell Culture Media Development, Data, Discovery, and with
our Regulatory team.
Key Contributions in First Year
* Derived ESC/iPSC lines and generated stable cell lines that can
be used to screen for culture and media conditions.
* Identified culture conditions that allow scale-up as well as
* Adapted cells into our in-house scalable medium.
* Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
* 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical,
* Unlimited PTO
* DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People
* Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value
diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of
race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation,
age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our
company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are
deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this
Keywords: Upside Foods, Berkeley , Scientist II, Stem Cell Biology, Other , Berkeley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!