Physicist Research Scientist (Career) or Physicist Staff Scientist (Career)
Company: College of Charleston
Posted on: November 20, 2023
The Lawrence Berkeley National Lab's (LBNL) Division has an
opening at the level of Physicist Research Scientist (Career) or
Physicist Staff Scientist (Career) to join the Advanced Light
Source (ALS) Accelerator Physics Group (APG). The Advanced Light
Source (ALS) is a world-class US Department of Energy (DOE) Office
of Science user facility, each year attracting nearly two thousand
academic and industrial users from disciplines spanning physical,
chemical, materials, biological, energy, and earth sciences. One of
the first third-generation light sources, the ALS has been a
recognized global leader in soft x-ray science for almost three
decades and is currently undergoing a large-scale upgrade (ALS-U),
which will keep the facility at the forefront of the soft X-ray
science for years to come. This is a great time to join the
accelerator physics group that supports the ALS operations, as in a
few years the existing storage ring will be replaced by a new
state-of-the-art machine designed for unprecedented performance. To
help to fully disclose the potential of the new machine while
continuing to support the successful operation of the existing ALS
to the end of its lifetime, we are looking forward to adding a new
team member with a background in experimental accelerator physics.
We expect that you will:
- Contribute to the successful operation of the ALS accelerator
systems (including the availability to support operations during
off hours as need arises).
- Contribute to accelerator physics studies and R&D
activities in support of the ALS accelerator systems'
improvements/upgrades and the ALS accelerator-physics group
mission, including the advancement of the state of the art of
- Participate in the completion and commissioning of the ALS
- Contribute to the development of hardware and/or software tools
(diagnostics, modeling, operational analysis, etc.).
- Establish communications, work effectively with technical,
engineering, and science personnel supporting the ALS.
- Submit papers to peer-reviewed journals, produce documentation,
and present/disseminate the work done at national/international
workshops and conferences.
- Contribute to funding proposals for accelerator science and
technology R&D activities.
- Comply with the LBNL/ALS Environment, Safety, and Health
(EH&S) practices and requirements.
- Commit to building constructive, respectful, and cooperative
- Commit to the Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability
(IDEA) principles. What is required:
- Ph.D. in physics or related fields, or equivalent
- A few years of professional experience in the field of
accelerator physics and technology.
- A record of recognized accomplishments and publications
commensurate to the career level.
- Work experience in one or more of the following sub-fields:
- Design, development, commissioning, and operation of beam
- Modeling and measurements of beam impedance, including
familiarity with computational electromagnetics codes.
- Beam collective effects.
- Feedback systems in accelerators (orbit control; bunch-by bunch
longitudinal and transverse feedback systems; rf feedback
- Ability to work well independently and in a diverse team.
- Good command of written and oral English and communication
- Basic computer programming skills. Ability to write scripts in
support of machine operations and development; familiarity with
software used in applications to the design or operation of
accelerators. Additional requirements for the Staff Scientist
- 7+ years of work experience following completion of the PhD
degree (or equivalent education/training.
- Demonstrated high levels of technical knowledge, ingenuity,
- Significant contributions to the field of accelerator
- Demonstrated ability to take on a leadership role in the
various programmatic activities pertaining to this position.
Salary: Research Scientist Career At the Research Scientist level,
this position is expected to pay between a targeted range of
$11,331 to $15,864 per month. Salary for this position will be
commensurate with the final candidate's qualifications and
experience including relevant education, certifications, plus also
aligned with the internal peer group. It is not typical for an
individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range
for a position. Staff Scientist, Career At the Staff Scientist
level, this position is expected to pay between a targeted range of
$13,446 to $18,824 per month. Salary for this position will be
commensurate with the final candidate's qualifications and
experience, including skills, knowledge, relevant education,
certifications, plus also aligned with the internal peer group. It
is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near
the top of the range for a position. Notes:
- In their application, the applicants are invited to include a
cover letter detailing their qualifications with regard to the
specific requirements mentioned in this posting, their
accomplishments in the field of accelerator science and technology,
and a statement describing their research interests.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt from overtime
pay (monthly paid).
- This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the
business needs and the successful candidate 's skills, knowledge,
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any
convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate
to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a
conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant
from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National
Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA. Berkeley Lab is committed to
and strives to continue building community with these shared values
and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and
Affirmative Action Employer. We wholeheartedly welcome applications
from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to
the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and
professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all
qualified applicants will be considered for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran
status. Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links: Know your
rights, click for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is
the Law and the under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
Keywords: College of Charleston, Berkeley , Physicist Research Scientist (Career) or Physicist Staff Scientist (Career), Other , Berkeley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!