HVAC Night Watch Mechanic Facilities Services
Company: University of California
Posted on: September 16, 2022
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to
creating a community that fosters equity of experience and
opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all
backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of
openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for
students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's
leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its
combination of internationally recognized academic and research
excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large
and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to
equity and social justice; and its roots in the California
experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the
status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its
founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance,
generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in
California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full
diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and
understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural,
disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic
backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at
Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and
equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a
matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among
faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding
whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly
encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding
Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our
Facilities Services strives to continuously improve the campus in
partnership with all members of the University community to ensure
that classrooms, laboratories, and offices support teaching,
learning and research. Through the efforts of over 500 dedicated
staff members, Facilities Services manages the asset management
program custodial services, maintenance operations, engineering and
technical services, environmental services, grounds operations, the
Cal Zero Waste program, the Campus Building Department, and the
campus utility systems, including the cogeneration plant. The scope
of the Facilities Services reaches across campus and is closely
connected to the activities of staff, building managers, other
campus departments and campus leadership.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 9, 2022.
* HVAC WATCH MECHANIC
* Responsible for environmental control of facilities on Campus
which includes: temperature of individual rooms and zones,
operation and maintenance of pneumatic and electronic control
* First responders to campus emergencies.
* Primary first responders to OLAC and BSL3 alarms.
* Monitor and adjust chiller systems, air conditioning,
refrigeration and steam heating systems to include all equipment
pertaining to each system.
* Manage building conditions through the utilization of
computerized EMS and other control systems.
* Responsible for providing preventative maintenance and repairs to
all existing building systems.
* These systems include but are not limited to fans, fume hoods,
VFD's, humidifiers, cooling towers, PRV's, boilers, heat
exchangers, pumps, compressors, vacuum pumps, heating and cooling
* Air filter and belt replacement as required.
* The ability to lift and maneuver up to 75-pound objects safely
and be able to work safely on ladders and in small spaces within
the campus environment.
* Coordinate appropriate repairs with other trades at PP-CS
* Work with all other trades to maintain all buildings in a good
* ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES
* Adherence to the scheduling of work through the work management
program is required.
* Consult Manager for technical information.
* Support maintenance projects and programmatic work
* Keep accurate work records and complete paperwork in a neat and
* Define and describe materials, tools and/or equipment, work
methods and task sequences.
* Serve as liaison with clients, relaying their needs and
requirements to the appropriate department or superintendent.
* Obtain materials and equipment as required.
* Adhere to all University and Departmental safety guidelines.
* Attend job-related and safety training as required.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Operate and adjust the building environment and control all
systems through the use of computerized and manual HVAC
* Operate absorbers and chillers, related auxiliary pumps, control
valves and controlling instruments.
* Perform testing and treatment to maintain the condition of the
cooling tower water systems.
* Maintain auxiliary pumps, control valves and temperature
* Clean and replace strainer baskets.
* Operate, adjust, troubleshoot and provide PM on steam and hot
water boilers and their immediate auxiliaries.
* This includes valves and their control instruments necessary for
* Operate, adjust and provide PM on building heating and
* This is inclusive of fans, blowers, heat exchangers, pumps, air
compressors, vacuum pumps, heating and cooling coils, air filters,
control valves and repair or replacement of their diaphragms up to
and including one inch diameter.
* Also operate, adjust and maintain thermostats and all main
* Adjust, troubleshoot and monitor equipment using the EMS where
* Operate, adjust and provide PM on radiators, convectors, and
* Operate, adjust and provide PM for temperature controls,
strainers and traps on HHW, DHW and IHW heat exchangers.
* Receive specific training to analyze boiler combustion using the
appropriate instrument and refer necessary repairs to another trade
* Installation, repair and adjustment of existing pneumatic
controls, related control lines, pneumatic air dampers, damper
motors and valve diaphragms up to and including one inch diameter,
includes installation of plastic lines.
* Operate, and adjust pressure reducing valves on steam, air and
* Operate, adjust and provide PM on controls for stills, water
softeners, demineralizers and deionizers.
* Operate, adjust and provide PM on controls for air compressors
and vacuum pumps.
* Operate air dryers to include temperature adjustment and repair
or replacement of moisture traps.
* Provide chemical treatment for HHW and CW, cooling towers and any
equipment requiring chemical treatment.
* Knowledge of and ability to conform to Facilities Services,
University, state, and federal policies and procedures, including
safety policies such as the IIPP, Hazardous Materials
Communications Program and Health and Safety Manuals.
* Be able to work with a fitted respirator as required.
* Must possess excellent communication skills and ability to
interact in a positive manner with the campus community, including
students, building managers, academic personnel, and craft
personnel, in a multi-cultural environment.
* Ability to track jobs to completion and prioritize requirements;
able to work and support shutdowns and project schedules to
minimize interference with others.
* Must be able to read information from equipment manufacturers'
manuals, service requests, layout sketches, blueprints, appropriate
state and local government codes, trade-specific manuals and
practices, and to determine how the fixture or equipment should
* Knowledge of relevant building codes and regulations.
* Ability to communicate clearly over the telephone and two-way
* Ability to execute all job assignments in a timely manner.
Salary & Benefits
* This is a full-time (40 hours/week), career position, and
eligible for full UC benefits.
* This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly
pay for this role is $61.32 + shift differential.
* For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by
the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment
when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section,
then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is
* This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the
agreement for the Skilled Crafts Unit (KB) between the University
of California and the Alameda County Building and Construction
Trades Council (ACBCTC). The current bargaining agreement manual
can be found at:
* This is a graveyard position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a
background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities.
Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews
information received in the context of the job responsibilities.
The University reserves the right to make employment contingent
upon successful completion of the background check.
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more
information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and
affirmative action policy see:
Keywords: University of California, Berkeley , HVAC Night Watch Mechanic Facilities Services, Professions , Berkeley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!